Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Boiled Peanut Adventure

I'm a southern girl with southern taste. There's no better snack than boiled peanuts and a big glass of sweet tea. Since sweet tea is currently BOGO at Publix, that part was covered. So for my Memorial Day, I spent the whole day making boiled peanuts. OK, not the whole day, but 6 hours of it at least. Just in case you're thinking of embarking on this adventure yourself, here are a couple of things you'll need.

A REALLY BIG POT (with lid)
It took my two largest pots just to make 2 lbs of peanuts. And since one of those pots was actually a pressure cooker, I had to get creative with a lid for it. (I don't know if you can pressure cook peanuts, hmmm....)

LOTS OF TIME 
Luckily for me there was a Criminal Minds marathon on yesterday so I wasn't going anywhere :) The recipe/directions said 4 hours, it turned into more like 6 and a half hours. (And they probably could have stayed in longer but I had to go to bed and still had to clean up my mess).

Overall, they turned out pretty good (a little salty for my taste). I'll do them again, just not anytime soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment