Friday, May 27, 2011

"Sexless" Baby Soapbox

So I'm sure most of us have been exposed to the story of the parents who refuse to tell anyone whether their 4-month old baby is a boy or girl.
(If not, you can get a version of the story here: Baby Storm Story)
I'm not a parent so I have no place giving parenting advice on whether or not this is a good idea. My problem with this is all the responses I saw when the story was posted on Facebook. 
I was surprised by the amount of people who believe that there are more than 2 genders. Did I miss something? One responder pointed out that he knew of at least 5 or 6 genders. 
When you fill out a form at the doctor's office, there are 2 boxes: Male or Female, there's no "Other" box! When you use a public restroom, you have 2 choices, Men's or Women's. And regardless of your views of gender and its role in society, there is a right and wrong answer to these choices! You can't just go into whichever restroom you feel like, you will get arrested. This baby will have to go to the bathroom one day and will do so either standing up or sitting down. 
Your gender is a choice from God, not your parents. And just because God gave you certain body parts doesn't mean you can't be anything you want to be. Take female firefighters for example, but thats a whole other soapbox for a whole other day :)

No comments:

Post a Comment